GPUs on FBSD?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Nov 22 16:35:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:06:28AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> usleepless at gmail.com writes:
>
> >  The talk/announcement on the Nvidia forum is about a native video
> >  driver for amd64 i believe. A lot of people are waiting for this
> >  ( currently there is only Nvidia support for i386 ).
>
> 	I do not believe this is correct.  _As I understand it_ there
> are (currently) two options:
>
> 	1) "nv" driver; written by nVidia, but does not support
> 		recent (last N generations) cards, works only for i386,
> 		and does not support 100% of 3d functions.  Breakage
> 		fixed, but no new features added.

You've got things a bit confused.

The x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv driver is open source and works on i386
and amd64. It doesn't support any 3d stuff AFAIK.

The x11/nvidia-driver is the one written by nvidia which only works on
i386 and supports 3d, compiz etc.

> 	2) "noveau" driver; written by third parties, works for i386
> 		and amd64 (maybe for others).  For what works, see the
> 		(hopefully outdated) web page.

That should be spelt "nouveau" otherwise correct. In ports as:
x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau. The wiki:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

> 	Under development:
>
> 	3) "????"; written (and maintained/improved) by nVidia, words
> 		for i386 and amd64, supports all cards, supports all
> 		functionality.  ETA not announced; no public testing yet.

Correct. Announcement:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41545&page=37

> 	If anyone knows better, please correct this.

Regards,

--

 Frank