Trivial questions about CNTL-ALT-DEL and CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Nov 16 16:12:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Jerry wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 21:18:36 -0700 (MST)
> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> replied:
>> It's also worth remembering that open source projects like xorg give
>> the users the rare privilege of being able to make a difference.  Test
>> code, provide hardware, document bugs or fixes, do or fund development.
>
> If that were true, it might be worth noting. Unfortunately, it rarely
> works like that.  I recently started using a Logitech wireless
> mouse/keyboard. Of course the mouse did not work in "X", although it
> performed fine outside of "X". After investing valuable time in
> Googling for a solution, I ended up editing files for HAL and adding
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>    Option         "AllowEmptyInput" "OFF"
> EndSection
>
> to the 'xorg.conf' file.

It appears the thread has mutated from "it's unpleasant when X changes"
to "why doesn't xorg support my hardware?"  Which are at opposite ends
of the spectrum.

> <rant>
> Honestly, that is not acceptable.

Evidently no one has been in the position to fix the problem.  The
opportunity is there, as I was saying above.  Certainly there have been
reports of problems with wireless keyboard/mouse of several brands;
maybe a slightly different protocol with the wireless versions.

Whether the problem is with hal or xorg-server or the keyboard and mouse
drivers or USB or some interaction, I don't know.  You have the
hardware; how about doing some research to help improve this?  Just
knowing what causes the problem would be a long way towards a real
solution.

> On every Windows and MAC system I tested, the combo works without this
> garbage. It just works. No drivers to install, unless I want the
> extended capabilities of the keyboard/mouse. Why does it have to be so
> freak-in difficult here.

Because the number of people using xorg are so small in relation to
Windows and OS X.