Trivial questions about CNTL-ALT-DEL and CNTL-ALT-BACKSPACE

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Nov 16 03:51:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Polytropon wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:49:04 +0200, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
>> By the way Xorg configuration becomes more and more elusive. Initially,
>> DontZap was enough. Then it had no effect at all and the fdi file was
>> needed. Now seems both are needed. What's next?
>
> If this continues, I'll run my 5.4-p8 workstation with "old
> fashioned" X (already X.org) until I die. :-)
>
> No, honestly: X is going to be more and more annoying. Have
> you noticed the long startup time? Nearly a half minute (!!!)
> on a 1.5 GHz system!

That's way too long for just X.  Bloated desktop environment?  Disk
contention?

> I know that there is lots of work done to make life easier for X
> developers, especially getting rid of many OS specific stuff, but...
>
> Finally, sliding more off-topic: Not only X gets slower with each
> release, the same applies for almost all X applications, except the
> "old fashioned" ones.

It sounds like we have very different experiences.  While I wouldn't say
the current xorg is a lot faster (not counting DRM), it's certainly not
slower on any of the systems I have to test.  But I don't know what
video board you're using either.