stuff and even more problems.... [ to mostly the hard core ]

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Nov 8 06:15:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 09:42:34PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>
> >        hey guys,
> >
> >        my last e-troubles happened a few months ago, or several weeks
> >        ago, when my old KVM unit began flaking out.  the one computer
> >        buddy i have in the seattle area suggested i order a 4-port
> >        iogear.  i did and he installed it.  it was .LT. sixty bux
> >        and next-to-worthless given my disability.[*]  altho i did type
> >        down the conversation between iogear and my friend, i'll spare
> >        you.  nutshell: they refused to swap and upgrade for something
> >        i could more readily use.  --i'll post the entire story on my
> >        freebsd pages in time.
> >
> >        my new/used dell inspiron-530 is here.  it is installed to as far
> >        as i can install it.  trouble is that i see on the dell screen
> >
> >        "Keyboard failure"
> >
> >        and a message to press F2 to setup.  the kvm has the old ps2
> >        plugs and no adaptors to USB.  i have the dell kybd here, come
> >        to think of it, but i'm waaay the hell beyond achy to get down
> >        and muck around and test.
> >
> >        what's your best guess, folks?  the computer parts stores
> >        around here have largely shut down ...but if ordering an
> >        adaptor or two will fix things, i'll do it.
> >
> >        any thoughts on this?  i think i would need at least 547 pain
> >        meds to get back down there and plug in the kyboard; i might
> >        drowse off
> >
> >        gary
> >

> > [*] gotta type CTRL-ALT-Shift at just the right keyrate (+/-
> > 0.000000000001s:)
> >    to change ports.
> >

> PS/2 keyboards are still plentiful and cheap...
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201029
>
> I've had varied luck with adapters and since they're about the same price
> just as easy to keep a ps/2 around.
>
> --
> Adam Vande More

	the keybd isn't the problem.  it is in the box with a bunch of
	misc stuff i don't need.  problem is that on my KVM switch are
	only ps2 plugs.  on the back of the dell are USB jacks.  i
	need something to convert from the PS2 plug to fit into the
	USB ....

    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php