networking won't come back up until reboot after ISP outage

umage theultramage at
Sat Nov 7 18:24:03 UTC 2009

On 7. 11. 2009 19:07, Jason wrote:
> Have you tried restarting routing?
> /etc/rc.d/routing restart
> I have found the same symptoms with other outages and not performing the
> above.
> I have done "/etc/rc.d/netif restart" and "/etc/rc.d/routing restart".
> Wtih using these commands, I have found this to be successful in 
> restoring
> network interfaces communication, without having to reboot.
> Hope this helps.
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 03:05:40PM +0100, umage thus spake:
>> Hello. I have had 3 network outages this week, and everytime it 
>> happened, I found that my freebsd8rc1 machine/router was unable to 
>> communicate over the WAN interface even after the outages ended. A 
>> reboot helps, but that's not an acceptable solution.
>> The symptoms are very weird: even though dhclient successfully 
>> receives a dhcp lease and sets up the interface, I am unable to ping 
>> the gateway. The ifconfig utility says the interface is up and 
>> configured correctly; netstat -arn says routes are set up as they 
>> should be; and tcpdump reports random network traffic arriving on the 
>> interface (so the network itself is up and running). Taking the 
>> interface down and back up doesn't help, reloading ipfw rules doesn't 
>> help.
>> I have some more things to test - whether tcpdump reports any 
>> attempts at outgoing traffic, and whether disconnecting/reconnecting 
>> the network cable will do anything. And maybe reverting ipfw rules to 
>> what I've been using before. Other than this, I have no idea what 
>> else to do...
>> _______________________________________________
>> freebsd-questions at mailing list
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to 
>> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at"
Thank you for the hint, I will try it when this happens again.
Note: the output of netstat -r was identical to what it is currently...
FYI: I've been using freebsd 6.2 -> 7.2 until now, and I never had to 
intervene - the system resumed networking as usual. It might have 
something to do with migrating to 8rc1 (most likely not), or that I'm 
now using DHCP and there's a glitch somewhere (maybe).

More information about the freebsd-questions mailing list