Does hybernate/wakeup work?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Wed Nov 4 04:04:48 UTC 2009

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 283, Issue 5, Message 13
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:56:24 -0800 Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
 > Paul B Mahol wrote:
 > > On 10/23/09, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
 > >
 > >> I tried to make system hybernate with 'acpiconf -s4' on my laptop.
 > >> It quickly turned off, but when I press the power button it boots like
 > >> no hybernate and begins to check disks.
 > >>
 > >> What can be wrong?
 > >>

 > > OS S4 is not implemented, but BIOS S4 is possible on some machines ...
 > > And on 8.0 and 9.0 i386 SMP doesnt resume properly (amd64 works).

 > 'acpiconf -s4' also brings laptop to unwakeable state. Power button
 > begins to flash, when I press any button there is some disk activity,
 > power button light turns on. And nothing happens. 'apm -z' produces
 > similar result.
 >
 > Maybe it's better to ask what works?
 > Is there any way I can use suspend/sleep mode? Any basic way to make it sleep?

As Paul said, hibernation only works if the machine's BIOS supports it
(hw.acpi.s4bios = 1) AND you've already prepared a suitable disk area,
usually a separate slice (DOS partition) or as a file in a 'doze slice.

To make even a vaguely informed guess as to whether hibernation and/or
acpiconf -s3 (suspend/resume) might work, we'd need to know:

 What version of FreeBSD on which architecture?  (output of 'uname -a')

 What make and model of laptop?  (someone may know if that one works)

 Whether it runs a single or multiple CPUs?  (see /var/run/dmesg.boot)

 The output of 'sysctl hw.acpi' ?

cheers, Ian