ZFS non-zero checksum and permanent error with deleted file

Steven Samuel Cole steven.samuel.cole at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 01:53:14 UTC 2009

Hello,

I couldn't find a dedicated FreeBSD/ZFS mailing list, so I hope this is
the right place to ask.

I'd like some advice if I should rely on one of my ZFS pools:

[user at host ~]$ sudo zpool clear zpool01
[user at host ~]$ sudo zpool scrub zpool01
[user at host ~]$ sudo zpool status -v zpool01
   pool: zpool01
  state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
	entire pool from backup.
    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scrub: none requested
config:

	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	zpool01     ONLINE       0     0     4
	  raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     4
	    ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad14    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad16    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ad18    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

         zpool01:<0x3736a>

How can there be an error in a file that does not seem to exist ?
How can I clear / recover from the error ?

I have read the corresponding documentation and did the obligatory
research, but so far, the only option I can see is a full destroy/create
cycle - which seems an overkill, considering the pool size and the fact
that there seems to be only one (deleted ?) file involved.

[user at host ~]$ df -h /mnt/zpool01/
Filesystem    Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
zpool01       1.3T    1.2T    133G    90%    /mnt/zpool01

[user at host ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD host.domain 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1
07:18:07 UTC 2009
root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Cheers,

ssc