7.2 Release kills my XP Dual Boot

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Sat May 30 00:03:02 UTC 2009

Kent Hauser wrote:

> Sorry I was less than clear.
>
> I've been running XP + FreeBSD dual boot forever. After installing 7.2
> (rebuilding from source), the XP partition wouldn't boot. When I selected
> "F1" at the boot menu, the system just hung.
>
> I booted from an old 6.2 install disk I had around & selected
> "Custom/Partition" & used the hidden "W" command to write the partition
> information & boot manager. I could then dual-boot XP / FreeBSD 7.2.
>
> For fun, I tried "Custom/Partiion/Write" from the 7.2 DVD & it hung just
> like the rebuild from source. Fixed again with 6.2 disk.
>
> My conclusion is that 7.2 (or 7.1 -- I moved from 7.0) broke dual boot.
>
> Any other thoughts?

Probably code has changed in the boot loader. You may consider searching the
PR bug reports for related boot troubles, and if you locate something which
is either close or matches your situation add your experience to the PR.
Sometimes these turn out to be edge cases with which the devs have not
seen/experienced themselves so they need to hear it from users who do.

-Mike