On the need for moderated questions lists

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri May 29 08:00:32 UTC 2009

>> nothing that prevent me from having an opinion about moderation and
>> trying to explain to others that it make sense.
>
> While a change like this is possible, it is going to be very very hard.
> To change something so deeply ingrained into the whole `culture' of

why adding extra moderated list is a change of deeply ingrained culture?
Once again i'm not for shutting down that list.

Anyway some common ideas that had "ingrained" has to be revisited anyway,
now or soon. Not only by FreeBSD community, but free software at all.

The first will be the common idea of "free software should compete with
commercial". My answer is that it should not as it already failed to do.
And what's a gain even if it will be successful? As it's not commercial
and not being sold.

It already lives very fine in it's market niche. As FreeBSD never
really tried to compete with say - windows - hard, it's still so good OS, based
of real idea of unix, and still well optimized for performance. Actually
it gets better every release.