Canon printer and TurboPrint

kristian.tenorio kristian.tenorio at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:10:55 UTC 2009

Well, you have a Canon iP8500.  I guess I can really help you.
I have tried TurboPrint on FreeBSD and it works.  Here is what I did:

0) I installed the Fedora linux compat package from my FreeBSD discs
1) I enabled the linux compatibility by adding as root the following line to
/etc/rc.conf
linux_enable="YES"
2) I installed bash and symlinked it to /bin by running as root
cd /bin ; ln -s `which bash`
3) I installed ghostscript, you probably have it installed already
4) I mounted as root the linprocfs by running
mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc
5) I downloaded the .tgz Turboprint file, copied it to my home and untarred
it using
tar xzf MYTURBOPRINTFILE
where MYTURBOPRINTFILE is the name of the file you downloaded ending in .tgz
6) I changed to the new folder and ran as root this, following the on-screen
instructions
brandelf -t 'Linux' setup
./setup
~~~TURBOPRINT SETUP PROGRAM: SOME QUESTIONS AND STUFF ON THE SCREEN~~~~
cd /compat/linux/usr/bin
ls t*
7) With this last command you see some new programs installed from the
Turboprint setup like
tpprint, turboprint, etc.  You simply change its brand, as root of course by
running on each of them
brandelf -t 'Linux' TURBOPRINT-BINARY
where TURBOPRINT-BINARY is the name of each executable file you think is
Turboprint's.
8) Now is time to do the script.  Enter your text editor on your session,
copy the following
script AS IS and save it as tpr on your home directory. Notice the P= and D=
fields.

#!/bin/bash
F=/compat/linux/usr/bin/tpprint
P=Canon_PIXMA_iP8500
D=/dev/ulpt0
if [ $1 ]; then S=$1 ; else S=- ; fi
gs -sDEVICE=pcx24b -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=2
\
-dMaxBitmap=10000000 -sOutputFile=$HOME/tpr.pcx $S
$F -d$P $HOME/tpr.pcx $HOME/tpr.job ; rm $HOME/tpr.pcx
cat $HOME/tpr.job >$D ; rm $HOME/tpr.job

9) Make it executable and copy it to /usr/local/bin as root, something like
cd /home/YOUR_USERNAME
chmod 555 tpr
cp tpr /usr/local/bin

Now, it is installed. When you want to print follow these steps.
Remember, you have to do this every time you turn your printer on.

1) Turn on your printer
2) Run the following command as root
chmod 666 /dev/ulpt0
This will allow every user in the system print.
3) Go to the File menu in your app and select Print as you'd always do
4) If it is KDE, click Advanced Options and select (generic) from the menu.
If it's not KDE look for printing through a command.  The idea here is to
print using a command.
5) Look for the command field and type tpr
6) Click OK or whatever else in your program and it will print your job

You can print also a PDF or PostScript file on your terminal (it all) by
running
tpr FILENAME

It works on whatever printer.  If you have another printer simply change the
P= field in the script.
For instance, I have it P=Canon_i250 since I have a Canon i250 USB printer
installed at home.
If it doesn't work maybe the device is wrong.  If the /dev/ulpt0 doesn't
work, try /dev/unlpt0 if USB,
or /dev/lpt0 for Parallel's.  That is set in the D= field.  /dev/ulpt0
should work for USB Printers.

Send me an email.  I really want to know whether it does work for you or
not.
Here it is, kristian.tenorio at gmail.com