Keyboard not working in gnome?

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 15 17:06:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 18:56 +0200, Christopher Arnold wrote:
> Problem solved, see below..
>
> On Fri, 15 May 2009, Christopher Arnold wrote:

> >> Using the above, you shouldn't need the lines below.  Your devices need
> >> to be statically configured in xorg.conf.  If you are using hald, then
> >> remove both the AllowEmptyInput and AutoAddDevices lines above.  I
> > When i commment theese out i get neither keyboard or mouse.
> > Also i notice in the xorg logfile that my "Keyboard1" gets ignored
> > alltogether. That is if i would have got the keyboard to work i would have a
> > us one instead of my swedish.

> > If i comment these out then gdm dosn't even start since gdm requiers them i
> > guess.
> >
> With AllowEmptyInput and AutoAddDevices set to "off" and both dbus and
> hald enabled it now works... Why?

This means that you are using purely static configured devices from
xorg.conf.

> Well i tried and xterm as usual and it didn't work. Decided to check if
> another program accepted input to rule out an error in xterm. So i used
> preferences/keyboard instead. I didn't expect it to work so i just pressed
> a key and kept it down. Klick and then characters!
>
> So in the end i managed to find out that slow keys somehow had become
> enabled in universal access preferences....
>
> Embarrasing...
>
> But it is a bit strange that your suggestions did not work.
> How come some people need the AllowEmptyInput and AutoAddDevices lines but
> not others?

It looks like hal is seeing your keyboard, but I don't see it picking up
the mouse.  You would need to look at lshal to figure out what is going
on there.  If you are using hal with a non-us keyboard layout you
probably want to search the archives for the fdi setup to configure your
keyboard layout.

robert.