How to move vi to /bin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri May 15 04:06:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:13:02 +0200, Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:
> sh is worse then csh.

But sufficient for administration tasks in maintenance mode.
It's not that you spend hours of dialog sessions in SUM.
Remember: It's a worst case scenario. If everything fails,
the /bin/sh still works, and it helps you get things working
again.

It's not that I would like to use sh as a dialog shell, there
are definitely better ones. But it's the system's standard
scripting shell, and sufficient for recovering a defective
system.

> And I said if you know what you're doing. My root shell
> is less prone to break then the standard csh shell, because I compile it
> statically (and also on the / partition).

That's a completely valid solution - better than just chsh
and then trouble. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany