Wake-on-LAN support in FreeBSD?

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue May 12 02:35:07 UTC 2009

--On May 11, 2009 8:06:41 PM -0600 Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've read Google, I've done my research, and know that what I say is the
> last word.  They've exampled how WOL works, and as I said, it's a mode
> the NIC gets set to and then the ACPI shuts the power off.
>
> Without this mode, the WOL packets get to it, but it doesn't consider
> them magic, and as a result, it will not power on the box.
>
> There were some examples, but not enough testing/any testing results were
> posted online so I assume the poster left it stagnant.

Tim, I know nothing about WOL on FreeBSD, but according to the wiki,
development just started in 8 CURRENT:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/WakeOnLan

So unless you're running CURRENT, it doesn't look like you're going to
have any success trying to get it to work.  Even if you have 8 CURRENT,
you'll still need to figure out if your NIC is supported yet, or write the
code yourself if you have that capability.

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.