Wake-on-LAN support in FreeBSD?

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Tue May 12 02:07:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>  Has anyone successfully used the wake-on-LAN tool wol to wake-up a FreeBSD
>> system?
>>

> wake on lan works before any OS is started, actually before computer is
> powered up - as it's made to power up computer by LAN

Like normal, you've completely missed the point.

I will try not to scream at you.

I've read Google, I've done my research, and know that what I say is the
last word.  They've exampled how WOL works, and as I said, it's a mode the
NIC gets set to and then the ACPI shuts the power off.

Without this mode, the WOL packets get to it, but it doesn't consider them
magic, and as a result, it will not power on the box.

There were some examples, but not enough testing/any testing results were
posted online so I assume the poster left it stagnant.

Wojciech - I get so disappointed, you seem to mislead people more than the
rest.  I strongly encourage you to read into the topics BEFORE you post to
the mailing list.

--TJ