abiword

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Thu May 7 14:03:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:16:45 +0200
kenneth hatteland <kenneth.hatteland at kleppnett.no> wrote:

> I am having serious problems getting my freebsd machines with
> abiword installed to open .doc files. Text becomes totally garbled
> and unreadable. Have searched the net and the few  abiword forums I
> can find but nowhere  does it say  what nob  is unturned on  my
> freebsd installs.  winxp and linux machines opens  such documents ok.
> Anyone using this and know something wise ?
> OpenOffice would be an alternative, but I only have 4gb left of /usr
> so it won` t build.
>
> blessed be
> Kenneth, norway

Hello Kenneth

I too had this problem with abiword and FreeBSD. Well, it is still
there but I have worked around it.

This is part of email I from the abiword list that I started.

	I found that I could then use the bitstream-vera fonts without
	any trouble. I then edited the normal.awt file locater
	at /usr/local/share/abiword-2.6/templates/ from Times New Roman
	to Bitstream Charter.

	Now I can create new documents and when I pull in an existing
	document I can "select all" and change it to Bitstream Charter.
	It definitely is a bandaid fix.

	All of the other files in directories
	at /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/ are gz files. I am not a
	programmer but I would _guess_ the Xorg upgrade is not opening
	those gz files for use by abiword.

	Long story short, I am able to use abiword and can live with
	this.

I know this is not the solution you are looking for but it can help you
be productive. I am not sure but I think this started with the recent
update of Xorg.

Abiword 2.7.0 has been released and when the port is updated I am
hoping this problem is solved.

I hope this helps

Robert