Java without CUPS

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Thu May 7 03:10:27 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I know that, since my printer speaks Postscript, I don't need CUPS. But
some of the ports I'm installing want to install CUPS as a dependency.
The first one I happened across was java/jdk16, but I'd be surprised if
there weren't more.

Could it be as simple as
   # make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install
? I see no such possibility in either the config options or the Makefile
for jdk16, and google was no help.

It's not like the disk space costs anything nowadays, but I chafe at
installing unneccesary bloat on my system. If it can't be done I'll
deal, but I'd like to stay CUPS-free if possible.

Thanks very much for any insight.

$ uname -mv
FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1 08:49:13 UTC 2009
root at walker.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]