netstat -NM uses

Cipta H ciphwn at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 21:02:36 PDT 2009

I found these options in netstat and I'm interested in what they're for:

     -M    Extract values associated with the name list from the specified
           core instead of the default /dev/kmem.

     -N    Extract the name list from the specified system instead of the
           default, which is the kernel image the system has booted from.

what are they for? Is it related to retrieving network data from another
host / system? What are the uses of these options? Thanks

Best regards,

Cipta