Anonymizer tool like Tor?

T. freebsd-questions at lists.goldenpath.org
Fri Mar 13 13:17:48 PDT 2009

Gilles wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:47:07 -0400, "T."
> <freebsd-questions at lists.goldenpath.org> wrote:
>
>> You want a transparent tor proxy, which you setup with freebsd and pf.
>>

> Thanks much for the help. If my modest Python script used to download
> some web pages goes through Tor, is there a way for the remote web
> server to somehow trace this connection back to me?
no

> Can you elaborate? After compiling the Ports, a "_tor" user is
> created. I could successfully launch Tor by "su - _tor".

If you want it to work as I've described, as a transparent proxy, you'll
need to follow all the steps I've detailed.

Yes, of course you can su - _tor
The given start stop method is
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/tor start
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/tor stop

The way I've described, the machine becomes a transparent tor proxy for
all machines that use it as their default gateway and dns servers.
This has a huge advantage in that the client machines are un-trickable.
You don't have to figure out how to "proxify" anything.
You cannot misconfigure their network / proxy settings. Everything uses
the network exactly as it always does.
If they have no direct access to the internet, they cannot be forced to
reveal your real IP.