Problem with Bash-4 and $(command) syntax

Eray Aslan eray.aslan at caf.com.tr
Thu Mar 12 21:41:47 PDT 2009

On 13.03.2009 02:04, Mark McConnell wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2009 at 10:25, Jerry wrote:
> {Problem with Bash-4 and $(command) ...}:
[...]
> I found the same problem, and have reverted to
>  bash3.2 until it's sorted out.

See if the following helps.

http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/COMPAT

Especially:

38. Since bash-4.0 now follows Posix rules for finding the closing
delimiter of a $() command substitution, it will not behave as previous
versions did, but will catch more syntax and parsing errors before
spawning a subshell to evaluate the command substitution.

--
Eray