Problem with Bash-4 and $(command) syntax

Mark McConnell markmcconnell at iinet.com
Thu Mar 12 18:26:17 PDT 2009

On 12 Mar 2009 at 10:25, Jerry wrote:
{Problem with Bash-4 and $(command) ...}:

> Is this a known problem with Bash-4? I have not been
> able to find anything about it on the Bash site.
>

> Jerry
> gesbbb at yahoo.com

I found the same problem, and have reverted to
 bash3.2 until it's sorted out.

Like you, I wasn't able to find discussion of this on
the lists I subscribe to - although I'm sure it's going
on.  Looking through the diffs in
/usr/ports/distfiles/bash, the bracketed form of
command substitution appears to be a long-
standing problem in bash40-xxx.

The back-tick `command` form works as it should,
but not the Posix-style $(command) form, as of
GNU bash, version 4.0.10(1)-release

Mark
Mark McConnell
markmc at dataabstractsolutions.com