HELP! After updateng DB46 to DB47 OpenLDAP 2.4.15 won't start anymore nor willing to perform backup

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 12 05:38:29 PDT 2009

Today I updated several FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE servers and so I did on one
of our OpenLDAP servers. The server was runnig OpenLDAP 2.4.15 with
Cyrus SASL2 support and DB backend was DB 4.6 as from the ports.

First, I made a backup from the OpenLDAP database via slapcat -l file.ldif.

I updated from DB 4.6 o DB 4.7 and rebuilt every port that relied on DB
4.6, deleted DB 4.6 libraries and other files and then rebuilt OpenLDAP
2.4.15.

When trying to recover the database via 'slapadd -c -l file.ldif' and/or
trying to restart the OpenLDAP server, I get this error message:

Starting slapd.
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.15 (Mar 12 2009 13:06:18) $

root at ldapslave.geoinf.fu-berlin.de:/usr/ports/net/openldap24-server/work/openldap-2.4.15/servers/slapd
bdb(dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de): unable to initialize mutex: Invalid
argument
bdb(dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de): unable to destroy mutex: Invalid argument
bdb(dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de): PANIC: Invalid argument
bdb(dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de): unable to join the environment
hdb_db_open: database "dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de" cannot be opened,
err -30974. Restore from backup!
bdb(dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de): txn_checkpoint interface requires an
environment configured for the transaction subsystem
bdb_db_close: database "dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de": txn_checkpoint
failed: Invalid argument (22).
backend_startup_one: bi_db_open failed! (-30974)
bdb_db_close: database "dc=geoinf,dc=fu-berlin,dc=de": alock_close failed
slapd stopped.

So far. At this very moment I feel like a dead man in the water. I
searched the web and tried to find out what LDAP is complaining about,
but no success so far. Is anybody out here with some hints? Please eMail me,

thanks in advance,

Oliver