Ports on Macbook

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Mar 4 00:52:35 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:25:21PM +0100, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> Polytropon said the following on 2009-03-03 03:24:
> >On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:22:50 +0100, Bernt Hansson <bernt at bah.homeip.net>
> >wrote:
>
> >>Mostly semantics,  if I name my computer "APPLE" Then it's "legal" to
> >>install. Crap, if I buy it I can install it on ANY computer. Does not
> >>have to be a computer named "APPLE" it could be "IBM", "HP" or any other
> >>brand or non brand.
> >
> >I think an important point is that you loose support from Apple
> >if you're not installing Mac OS X on Apple brand hardware.
>
> That may be. But i'm not talking about apple specificly.
>
> >As for the license agreement, if you buy Mac OS X from the shelf
> >(for example), you've not confirmed any contract-like agreement
> >with Apple yet, but you've purchased some rights already, for
> >example the right to burn the whole package (not a nice example
> >but I'm sure you get the idea); the EULA mentions nothing about
> >this (legally possible) behavior.
>
> Well, you have the right to make a backup. Is it that?
>
> >The Mac OS X versions sold along with the "Hackintosh" are no
> >illegally pirated copies, they're "boxes" from the shelf. It's
> >up to the customer what to do with it.
>
> Yes. Like with any digital file/s

	If this were only true!  ...But as I understand it, corporations like
	the RIAA forbid me from making a backup of a CD  or DVD that I *own*.
	(E.g, a 6-CD set of Shostokovich).   Admittedly, it's getting OT to ask
	if it wasn't corporate greed that's causing the Global meltdown, but we
	come back to the point if we ask two straightforward questions:
	1. What is ethical?  2. How much is too much?

	gary

    The 2.23a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php