ANNOUNCE: Custom GNOME-based FreeBSD iso released

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 15:59:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Tim Judd<tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It would be interesting to see how much demand exists for an
>> installation DVD with KDE 3.5.  (KDE lost a large amount of voter
>> share in Linux Journal's last Readers' Choice Awards.)

[snip]

> When I run KDE, I run KDE4.  I'm not asking for someone to generate a
> KDE3.5 or KDE4 install medium, but where is the line?
>
> If we make XFCE4, and Gnome2.26, why not Enlightenment, Blackbox,
> KDE3.5, KDE4, etc etc etc?

If I remember correctly, there already are two of these [1][2], soon
to be followed by a third [3].

> Earlier, I made hints at a webGUI install (the install medium would
> boot into X, basic setup (VESA driver @1024x768, 24 [or 16bit]
> depth)), run firefox or another lightweight browser (even lynx in the
> console if X fails to start) on it's own filesystem or over apache.
> Once network configuration is done, you can pull the data sets for
> your choice of WM from the internet.
>

> I think this has potential, and would offer making it (already started
> on it), but I think my statements went on deaf ears when addressed to
> the broad public.
>
> So I'll ask again if anyone else would be interested in this.  The
> advantage is that on this webGUI install, you can offer it (secured of
> course) over the internet for someone more technical to do the install
> or configuring, including the same post-install configuration that
> sysinstall offers.

I like the idea, but wouldn't you need console access to get the
network configured?  Unless I am misunderstanding your intention, it
appears you are replacing ssh access with apacheXX (or lighttpd, etc).
 I like the idea, otherwise.

[1] - http://pcbsd.org/
[2] - http://www.desktopbsd.net/
[3] - http://www.tomahawkcomputers.com/