Firefox crashes on yahoo.com

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 28 10:34:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 02:24:03PM +0530, Manish Jain wrote:
> > Have you tried Firefox3.5? It's in ports as www/firefox3-devel.
> >
> > I just tried Yahoo! and had no problems.

I tried yahoo with firefox3 on 7.2-RELEASE-p2 amd64 without problems.

> The problem is not restricted to firefox or yahoo.com. There are other
> sites too where this happens. I built Galeon from ports, and it shows
> exactly the same behaviour as firefox2/firefox3 for those sites. So does
> Epiphany (installed from the distribution media).
>
> I doubt whether firefox-3.5 could solve the problem. This seems to be a
> problem with a core library in X or one of the graphics libraries.

Are your ports up-to-date? Use portsnap(8) [first time: 'portsnap fetch
extract', afterwards 'portsnap fetch update'] to update your ports tree and
then portmaster(8) ['portmaster -a -B -d'].

If your ports are up-to-date, try rebuilding libX11 and the ports it
depends on ['portmaster -f -x libX11'].

Roland