apache22: "Can't access startfile"

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Jun 27 23:33:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 06:54:33PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Glen Barber<glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Gary Kline<kline at thought.org> wrote:
> >>
> >>        Can anybody remind me what all I need to do to create a new virtual
> >>        website?  (Or move /usr/local/www/foo to /usr/local/www/bar/ and have
> >>        "bar" be my new website?  I've seen this lynx error:
> >>        "Can't access startfile" before and can't remeber what I'm doing wrong.
> >>
> >>        thanks for some clues here,
> >>

> > Take a look at the error log for apache, as I suspect the following:
> > usually, apache wants to look in /usr/local/www/apache22/* for its
> > information.  If you have changed <DocumentRoot>, could you give us
> > snippets (if not all) of your httpd.conf ?
> >

> >>        PS: yes, i edited the apache22/Includes/httpd-local.conf and restarted the
> >>        etc/rv.d/apache script... .
> >>

> > Is this apache13, 20, or 22 by the way?
>
> Wow... I must really be loosing it... Forget I asked that last question. ;)
>
> Gary, if the problem persists after my previous suggestions, could you
> also include info from the error log?

	:-) [above].   no the reboot got things launched.  my server is
	"sage.thought.org", but the mail, web, and dns stuff are all in
	a jail, "aristotle.thought.org", so my guess is that things were
	blocked at sage.  i realize that's a really LAME excuse... :-)

	if ever i find somebody out here in the seattle area to help me, i'll buy
	a Dell and built ns1.thought.org as aristotle.thought.org; no mo' jails.

	meanwhile, if anybody else has some clues re wha' happened, Pulleze clue
	me in. there was nothing in the error log; it was dated

2 drwxr-xr-x   3 www  www  1024 Jan 13  2008 error
4 drwxr-xr-x   3 www  www  3584 Jan 13  2008 icons
p0 16:29 <Jail:: aristotle> [5061]                          /usr/local/www/apache22

	um, for apache22, the http.conf no longer has any of the virtual stuff.
	it's all in Include/httpd-local.conf.  Meanwhile, this newest apache is
	getting to be a religion in its own right.   like emacs vs vim/vi, etc,
	etc......

	(*whew*)

	gary

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php