Can't boot 7.2-RELEASE i386 or AMD64 on an Abit KV8 Pro motherboard with Sempron 3100+ CPU

ericr erobison at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:01:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

As the subject says, I can't get the 7.2-RELEASE i386 CD to boot on a system
that has:

Abit KV8 Pro (K8T800P-8237-6A7L1A1BC-26) motherboard with the most recent
BIOS - BIOS release 26 4/20/2007
(
http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=KV8+Pro&fMTYPE=Socket+754)

An AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8Ghz CPU

1 Gb RAM

An ATI 1050 256mb AGP video card

I think I have turned off everything ACPI related in the BIOS setup.

When I boot the i386 ISO, the kernel boots to the point of probing the PCI
bus and then hangs completely, even the keyboard is locked up.

I've unplugged all the disks, so the only things in the system are the CD
drive, the floppy drive, and the video card.

I have turned off acpi at boot time, and when I boot the i386 ISO verbosely,
the last few lines the kernel spews are:

pci_open(1): mode 1 addr port (0x0cf8) is 0x8000c060
pci_open(1a): mode1res=0x80000000 (0x80000000)
pci_cfgcheck: device 0 [class=060000] [hdr=80] is there (id=02821106)
pcibios: BIOS version 2.10
pcib0: <MPTable Host-PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
pci0: <PCI Bus> on pcib0
pci0: domain=0, physical bus=0

There's no PCI cards plugged in, just the AGP video card.

When I try booting the AMD64 ISO, the boot loader runs, I get the boot menu,
and regardless of what boot options I give the kernel, I get the message
"CPU doesn't support long mode" and then I get the OK prompt.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a h/w problem, it'll boot and install Fedora
11, Win2K, WinXP, and runs every DOS based diagnostic app I can find with no
problems.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I file a PR?

Thanks!

- ericr