Gateway load balance

Raul I. Becette raulbecette at unp.edu.ar
Thu Jun 18 17:41:12 UTC 2009

>> I had a proxy server (Squid + Dansguardian) under Slackware on the
>> LAN which, via 'ip route' I make it use 3 gateways connected each one
>> to an ADSL line and balance the requests.
>> Unfortunately my server crashed and I took the oportunity to install
>> a new one under FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. Squid and Dansguardian are
>> working fine. My problem is that I don't know how to make the server
>> use the other 2 gateways I have left and balance the requests on all
>> ADSL lines.
>

> use ipfw and fwd command.
>
> for example with output section
>
> add 10000 fwd gw1_IP from DSL1_subnet to any via gw1_ethernet
> add 10001 fwd gw2_IP from DSL2_subnet to any via gw2_ethernet
> add 10002 fwd gw3_IP from DSL3_subnet to any via gw3_ethernet

for my scenario I asume gwX_IP the IP address of my dsl gateways. What
would be DSLX_subnet and gwX_ethernet?
The proxy has only 1 NIC. Just to be sure: gateway_enable="YES" must be
set in /rtc.rc.conf and the kernel must be recompiled with ip forwarding
capabilities?

> please do treat above as an example of course.
>
> Of course use right squid commands so it will select right source IP
> based on the rules you want, but as you already did id under linux i
> assume you have this practiced already.

Under Linux I didn't used squid commands to do the balancing. Only
defining the 3 gateways with ip route command.
Is it possible to do the same with ipfw as you mentioned above?