Crusty upgrade (was Make Question)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jun 17 06:09:57 UTC 2009

Peter Clark wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>>> 5.1 (in fact all 5.X) has reached EOL. The latest ports tree won't
>>> compile stuff for 5.X.  Use the following line in your ports-supfile to
>>> get the last ports tree that was supported in 5.X:
>>>
>>> *default release=cvs tag=RELEASE_5_EOL
>>>
>>> instead of
>>>
>>> *default release=cvs tag=.
>>>
>>> Still, since this is going to be really old you may still have problems
>>> (missing distfiles and so on). But is worth trying if you must stay with
>>> 5.X for whatever reason.
>>
>> One thing it won't do is get you any of the bug fixes to the ssh port.
>>
> As a number of people have pointed out this is turning into a bigger
> headache than it needs to be. The good thing is that allowed me to get
> the ok to upgrade the system. This box will be taken out of service in
> the near future but I do need it to remain functional for a couple months.
>
> Is there a recommended upgrade path? I know about cvsup and whatnot.
> What I mean is are there some blatant gotchas when making this big a
> jump (5.1p18 -> 6.4)? Are there some recommended stops along the way or
> can it be done in one fell swoop. Is Colin Percival's freebsd-update.sh
> a viable way to approach this?
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade.html
>
> This is a production box so I want to cover my bases before I jump into
> this.

FreeBSD 5.1 was a transitional release between the old 4.x series where
the giant lock reigned supreme, multiprocessor support and threading had not
been very well developed; and 5.4 or above where the essentials of the modern fine-grained locking, multithreaded, multicpu-core style were established.
Which means that upgrading across those versions is only for gurus or masochists.
It's also way before freebsd-update was available (possibly even before it was
conceived in the mind of Colin).

My recommendation is to buy a replacement HDD (or HDDs), swap into the machine
reserving the old disk(s) as your fall-back in case of disaster, and then build
a new system from scratch using an up to date version of the OS.  Given the HDDs
in that box must be about 4 years old anyhow, swapping out the disks is a pretty
good idea just from a reliability point of view.  Personally I'd go for 7.2-RELEASE
on the basis that a) it performs better than 6.x and b) there's more support
lifetime remaining for the 7.x series.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3