Unable to start clamsmtpd

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 19:46:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:28:17 +0300
Ott Köstner <ottk at zzz.ee> wrote:

>On Sunday 14 June 2009 9:28:31 pm Carmel wrote:
>> I just installed clamsmtpd on a fresh FreeBSD-7.2 installation. When
>> I attempt to start the program via the start up script supplied by
>> the port maintainer, I receive this error message:
>>
>> Clamsmtpd: invalid Outaddress socket name or ip: start
>
>I have clamsmtp running fine on my mail server. Hope I can help You.
>
>First, please check that the directory, where clamsmtpd creates
>socket, is writable by clamsmtpd user. For example, I have yhe
>following lines in my config file:
>
>[...]
># The address clamd is listening on
>ClamAddress: /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock
>[...]
># User to switch to
>User: clamav
>
>...and...
>
># ls -ld /var/run/clamav/
>drwxr-xr-x  2 clamav  clamav  512 Nov 27  2008 /var/run/clamav/
>
># ls -l /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock
>srwxrwxrwx  1 clamav  clamav  0 Nov 27  2008 /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock

I had:

ClamAddress: /var/run/clamav/clamd

in my config file. I changed the clamd to clamd.sock but it did not
make a difference.

The clamd.pin, clamd.sock= and freshclam.pid files are in
the /var/run/clamav directory.

This is becoming really annoying. Aparently, clamdsmtp will not create
its own clamsmtpd.pid file.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

We are not loved by our friends for what we are;
rather, we are loved in spite of what we are.
		-- Victor Hugo