ISP questions

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jun 9 23:19:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 08, 2009 at 05:31:12PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 14:55:49 -0600
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> >I try to learn from others' mistakes to reduce the likelihood that I
> >will be forced to learn from my own.  If you really want to learn from
> >your own mistakes, though, go ahead and ignore the instances where
> >GoDaddy has screwed over other customers, and just keep using it in
> >willful ignorance until the day when your luck changes.  I guess
> >that's your prerogative.
>
> I believe you are over generalizing it. I have had two occasions where
> FBSD crashed and I lost a considerable amount of data. According to
> your statement, I should just say screw FBSD and move on to another OS.

FreeBSD doesn't have volition.  Using FreeBSD isn't a matter of trusting
the software's intentions.

GoDaddy executives and managers *do* have volition.  Using GoDaddy *is* a
matter of trusting the executives' and managers' intentions.

Next, we'll be comparing apples and . . . windows, I guess, since oranges
at least are fruit.  Pun intended.

> Seriously though, if they have X number of clients and only .1% of them
> have experienced a problem, is there really a problem? I don't know
> since I don't have statistics on GoDaddy. Obviously you do. Would you
> be kind enough to post them so I could inspect them myself.

If 0.111% of customers are unfortunate enough to end up with something
entirely beyond their control causing something to happen that can be
imagined to be a violation of GoDaddy's partially undisclosed policies,
and 0.1% of GoDaddy customers end up getting their domain names held
hostage to the tune of several hundred dollars as a result of those
incidents entirely beyond their control, that means that about 90% of
people GoDaddy has any way of exploiting, extorting, or otherwise
screwing over in a manner defensible in court are getting exactly that
treatment.

(Note that I'm making up numbers here, just like you.)

So . . . you're basically gambling that you'll never be the victim of
circumstances that would allow GoDaddy to figure it can get away with
screwing you over.  I prefer to gamble on other things.  Your mileage may
vary.