Problem with burncd

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jun 9 21:25:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:31:10 -0400, Carmel <Carmel_NY at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed FreeBSD-7.2. I attempted to burn a CD; however,
> when the burn completes, I receive this message:
>
> burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE); Input/output error.
>
> This is the command line:
>
> # burncd -ev -s max fixate data notes.txt

As far as I know, the command should be like

	# burncd -ev -s max data notes.txt fixate

I don't know if the order matters. Furthermore: You know that
you are recording notes.txt directly onto the CD and omitting
the ISO-9660 filesystem?

> Now, if I do not use the 'fixate' command, no error message is
> displayed; however, the CD is not readable.

Yes, it is not fixated.

> I have no idea what the
> problem is. I have used brand new CD disks that work fine on my Windows
> PCs.

I had similar problems with burncd a long while ago, and I dropped
it completely in favour of SCSI / CAM based tools.

> Is there a better CD-Burner program that I could use instead?

There is. Install cdrecord and / or cdrdao for CDs, and growisofs
for DVDs. Loat atapicam kernel module. Use it. Be happy. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0