fsck on 1.5TB drive

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 02:10:53 UTC 2009

Em Sáb, 2009-06-06 às 23:13 +0200, Wojciech Puchar escreveu:

> > try to use journaling on the backup partition, (if you do not want to
> > use ZFS...)
>
> is it THAT a problem to wait 5-10 minutes for fsck?
>
> on OS that really crash RARELY. Most cases not at all.

You are right Puchar, but sometimes (2 in 100 on powerfailure) the
filesystem
gets corrupted (database files opened, and being extended)...  so
when the fsck enters, the database get corrupted..
by using zfs or journaling I never have anothter database problem....

People can say it is better to use a no-break in the server, Right again
but in my case of about 1000 servers, after 2 years the batteries does
not
function any more... and I can rely only in the filesystem...
a shell script that moves the partition to another HD previously
formatted
with ZFS (on amd64) or journaling (i386)   solves my problem....

Sérgio