Installing latest version of LaTeX

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 6 07:20:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:34:07AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
> bf <bf2006a at yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >> Thanks for the info.  I'll have to try to install TeX Live.
> >
> > This is not trivial, which is one of the reasons it hasn't been done.
>
> Well *porting* TeX Live is certainly not trivial!  But actually
> installing it as free-standing software is not too hard.
>
> Get it from here:
>
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html
>

> I find that the live installation over the internet works very well - the
> links are there on the same page. Everything is installed in its own
> directory structure so it is easy to clean out if you need to do so.
>
> One useful point - in the main menu TeX Live gives the opportunity for the
> installer to create symbolic links to its main programs in standard
> directories. It is so much easier than doing so by hand!!

It is less messy if you just add the path to the TeXLive binaries to the
path element of the default profile in /etc/login.conf:

default:\
        :passwd_format=blf:\
        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
        :welcome=/etc/motd:\
        :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES,LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8:\
        :path=/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/amd64-freebsd ~/bin:\
        :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
        :cputime=unlimited:\
        :datasize=unlimited:\
        :stacksize=unlimited:\
        :memorylocked=unlimited:\
        :memoryuse=unlimited:\
        :filesize=unlimited:\
        :coredumpsize=unlimited:\
        :openfiles=unlimited:\
        :maxproc=200:\
        :sbsize=unlimited:\
        :vmemoryuse=unlimited:\
        :priority=0:\
        :ignoretime@:\
        :umask=022:

Also add the location of the manpages to /etc/manpath.config:

OPTIONAL_MANPATH        /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/man
MANPATH_MAP     usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/amd64-freebsd        /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/doc/man

You should change the paths to match those in your own installation.

Roland