Wireless Woes (NDIS, WPA2)

Gene fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net
Fri Jun 5 17:01:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:18:42 +0000, Paul B. Mahol wrote
> On 6/4/09, Gene <fbsd at brightstar.bomgardner.net> wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > I'm trying to get wireless working on a laptop. It works fine as long as no
> > encryption is used, but if I try to use either WEP or WPA2, I ueem to always
> > wind up with

> > Any help greatly appreciated.
> > _____________________-
> >
> > >From /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> >    ifconfig_ndis0="WPA DHCP"
> >
> > >From wpa_supplicant.conf
> >
> >    network={
> >    ssid="northstar"
> >    psk="Passphrase here"
> >    }
> >
> > >From /var/log/messages
> >
> >    ndis0: <RangePlus Wireless Notebook Adapter> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff
> > irq
> >    5 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
> >    ndis0: [ITHREAD]
> >    ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
> >    NDIS: could not find file preparse.ini in linker list
> >    NDIS: and no filesystems mounted yet, aborting NdisOpenFile()
> >    NDIS: could not find file regAdd.txt in linker list
> >    NDIS: and no filesystems mounted yet, aborting NdisOpenFile()
> >
> >    ndis0: WARNING: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
> >    ndis0: Ethernet address: 00:18:39:17:28:35
> >
> > And from ifconfig ndis0 scan:
> >
> > genesis# ifconfig ndis0 scan
> >
> > SSID            BSSID              CHAN RATE   S:N     INT CAPS
> > northstar       00:21:91:de:3f:8d    1   54M -51:-96  100 EPS
> >
> > And finally from ifconfig ndis0:
> >
> > genesis# ifconfig ndiso
> >
> > ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
> > 	ether 00:18:39:17:28:35
> > 	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
> > 	status: no carrier
> > 	ssid "" channel 1 (2412 Mhz 11b)
> > 	authmode OPEN privacy OFF bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 roaming MANUAL
> > 	bintval 0
> >
> > ________________________
> >
> > IHN,
> > Gene
> >
> > --
> > To everything there is a season,
> > And a time to every purpose under heaven.

> Look in output from wpa_supplicant using -d switch
> for information about possible misconfiguration.
>
> # wpa_supplicant -d -Dndis -iwlan0 -cMY_CONF.FILE
>
> --
> Paul

Paul - thanks for the response.

Did the above - the output shows that wlan could not be found. It's loaded
according to kldstat so I'm not sure what's going on. Should there be an entry
for wlan in rc.conf? Output from wpa_supplicant is below.

Yhanks!

________________
genesis# wpa_supplicant -dd -Dndis -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'ndis'
ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Line: 1 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=9):
     6e 6f 72 74 68 73 74 61 72                        northstar
PSK (ASCII passphrase) - hexdump_ascii(len=15): [REMOVED]
PSK (from passphrase) - hexdump(len=32): [REMOVED]
Priority group 0
   id=0 ssid='northstar'
Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
NDIS: Packet.dll version: FreeBSD WinPcap compatibility shim v1.0
NDIS: 1 adapter names found
NDIS: 1 adapter descriptions found
NDIS: 0 - ndis0 - ndis0
NDIS: Could not find interface 'wlan0'