is there a program to joinlines?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Jun 1 22:55:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 01:05:51AM +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >>    I recently discovered it is a "good thing" to use a utility of
> >>some kind
> >>    to joing the lines of a vi/vim-created file before using my
> >
> >you mean getting one line from line file+line one from other file and
> >producing one line of output containing both
> >
> >man paste
> >:)
>
> I think he means join all lines from a single file,
> to produce a single-line file. In this case, you
> should translate the \n character to space:
> tr '\n' ' ' < /etc/motd
>
> You could also use:
> echo `tr '\n' ' ' < /etc/motd`
> which will add a final \n, to avoid the funny looking
> output of a text file with no \n at the end.
>
> Nikos

	You got it, Nikos.  I wrote a C prog that cuts the '\n' and replaces it
	with a blank.  The tr stuff is too much typing:)

	thanks, you guys.

	gary

	PS:  If atom ever gets ported, maybe a 'J' switch should automate what

	jlines <asciifile> jasciifile

	does.  Suggestions?   (i'm asking because i found there were billions and
	billions of places in my 150K+ story and using jlines makes it a bit
	simpler.  ---At least in english, there are rules for how you quote
	something over paragraphs if the speaker/quote is the same......

	PPS: *NOw*  i'm starting to realize why OOo is so huge!!

	PPPS:   i will make available several chapters of my geek novel
		to the readers of the list online... .

    The 4.91a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php