is there a program to joinlines?

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass9573 at gmx.com
Mon Jun 1 22:07:04 UTC 2009

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>     I recently discovered it is a "good thing" to use a utility of
>> some kind
>>     to joing the lines of a vi/vim-created file before using my
>
> you mean getting one line from line file+line one from other file and
> producing one line of output containing both
>
> man paste
> :)

I think he means join all lines from a single file,
to produce a single-line file. In this case, you
should translate the \n character to space:
tr '\n' ' ' < /etc/motd

You could also use:
echo `tr '\n' ' ' < /etc/motd`
which will add a final \n, to avoid the funny looking
output of a text file with no \n at the end.

Nikos