how to boot or access problem file system

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 31 20:06:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:42:43PM -0400, PJ wrote:
> Basically, the news is not good.
> The directories & files are not what I had to begin with.
> ls /dev/ad0s1 or any disk/slice merely gets: Permission denied.

Now that is certainly weird. :-) I've never come across something like that.
What do 'mount' and 'ls -ld /dev' return? Maybe /dev is mounted with
incorrect permissions. You are logged in as root, I presume?

What strikes me as strange is that your data from the boot prompt
suggest that your FreeBSD install is on ad3 instead of on ad0. You
haven't messed with the cabling from the disks, or changed BIOS settings
regarding the boot sequence, have you?

Roland