7.2 RELEASE ? Buggy as hell

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 20:50:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Adam Vande More<amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:32 PM, PJ <af.gourmet at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> I have (supposedly, as I am told by my bootup) upgraded to 7.2
>> Wonderful. But how do i make this thing work. I've managed to do it on
>> an amd64 on an ACER Travelmate 4400 running at 1600mhz.
>> This box runs on 3ghz; Xorg comes up and the mouse is dead. Flashplayer9
>> with linux-emulator f8 and all the tweaks does not work, acroread9 does
>> not either,
>> hal is useless. I've tried turning off the option AllowEmptyInput to
>> off; i've tried starting hal - and when I run startx, the configuration
>> file is the default built-in... I don't understand what the hell is
>> going on... None of the solutions on google seem to work either...
>> oh, but there is some sunlight in neverneverland... I can boot and I can
>> install all kinds of files - funny, I don't want to play with this crap...
>> and I certainly am not going to reinstall after all I have gone
>> through... If I do reinstall, it will be another OS.
>> If it all works on amd64, what's wrong with i386?
>> I think it's time to switch to something more reliable.
>>
>> There's nothing wrong i386, at least in the regard you're suggesting.  Try
> searching deeper within yourself for the issue.
>
> --
> Adam Vande More

I don't think that answer was helpful.

PJ is not alone in frustration regarding 7.2.  For many users, it's
hard to tell whether the balance of difficulties lies in bugs or new
manual configuration requirements of 7.2.

I think much of the frustration lies in our perception of "STABLE".
When we upgraded from 7.1 (or 7.0), we expected a fairly smooth ride.
I had frustrations related to X (hal), mounting drives (hal), printing
(cups vs applications), and printing (gimp vs hpijs).  Yes, I read the
(uncentralized) documentation.  I even posted the urls of a few pages
on this list for others to find.  Again, the effort feels inconsistent
with "STABLE" -- my perception only, I'm sure 7.2 meets a technical
definition.

Those of us who upgraded further, to 7.2p1 and beyond, faced
additional challenges related to the change in the default version of
Python.  Keep in mind, for many of us, this is all in addition to
massive changes in KDE.

Simply put, I had a much easier time when I installed 5.0.  Your
mileage may have varied.

FreeBSD is still my choice for web and database serving.  As for the
desktop and printing, I will probably use Mac OS X until a few months
after FreeBSD 8.0 is released.  And that's okay.  There is no law that
states an operating system has to meet every computing need.

Andrew