problem with startx..!

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 16:58:13 UTC 2009

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:56:09 -0400
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> thanos trompoukis <atr0x23 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I removed .Xauthority and I still have the same problem
>
> Then the error messages will have changed; look at the log again.

If present, delete:

..ICEauthority
..Xauthority

Check ownership on the Desktop/ directory if present as well as
the .xinitrc file. In fact, most, if not all of the files in the $HOME
directory should be owned by you.

This definitely sounds like a permission/file ownership problem. As
previously suggested, DO NOT run 'X' as a privileged user.

You might want to post the contents of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log to
"http://www.pastebin.ca" so we can get a better idea of exactly what is
happening. I might suggest that you reboot the machine before starting
'X' also. Perhaps some program is hanging up and causing the problem.

Finally/ clean out your '/var/tmp' and '/tmp' directory before starting
'X'. there is always a possibility that something there has a
permissions/file ownership problem. It can't hurt.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge.

	Paul Gauguin