linux emulator-almost solved

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Fri Jul 24 16:09:21 UTC 2009

PJ wrote:
> Let's try 3 questions, all related.
> 1. Which linux emulator is one supposed to use or is this something that
> should not be installed and left to be handled as a dependency by ports?
>
> 2. I am trying to install ogle on FreeBSD 7.2 running on amd64. I have
> installed linux-base-fc4. Installation stops on linux-atk
> (accessibility). It seems there exists an .so file from version 1.9.1_3
> - needless to say, this is rather strange as I never installed
> linux-atk. Now, maybe it was part of the base-fc4 port; but the
> accessibility/linux-atk version is 1.9.1-1, something less than 1.9.1_3
> I would think. What is going on here?
>
> 3. I have another FreeBSD 7.1 machine on which I have installed ogle and
> it runs very, very nicely. But pkg_info tells me there is a
> linux-atk-1.9.1_3 installed; yet, again, the accessibility/linux-atk
> version is 1.9.1_3. Huh?
> Funny, but there was not problem installing ogle - ran immediately
> without problem.
>
> Needless to say, I am a bit dismayed. There doesn't seem to be any clear
> indication on Gaggle or the manual about which emulator to use or how to
> use it.
> Thanks for any clarifications, solutions, hints or suggestions.
> PJ

Looks like some of the problems were caused by an older version of
linux_base-fc4.
Reinstalling allowed the mplayer installation to continue.

I still would like to know what are all the other linux_base ports?
Which to use, how, when & why?

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php