rm -rf and fat fingers

Jimmie James jimmiejaz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 02:15:20 UTC 2009

Rolf G Nielsen wrote:
> Jimmie James wrote:
>> So here I was, half asleep, removing some old directories as root, and
>> here's what I did...sitting in /home/jimmie after su
>>
>> jimmie at jimmiejaz <101> [0] /home/jimmie#rm -rf cd /usr/local/lib
>> (note the space, the PWD is home/jimmie/)
>>
>> Now, a lot of libs went missing from /usr/local/lib. With libchk, last
>> locatedb I've been able to reinstall most of the libs.
>> My ~/ *seems* unaffected, but I'm worried about that, I don't notice
>> anything missing, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> What I'm thinking is the rm -rf found no 'cd' and moved to wipe out
>> /usr/local/lib  Would this be a correct assumption?
>>
>> And yes, I sat in the stupid corner with the dunce hat on.
>>

> Hi Jimmie,
>
> Out of curiousity, what were you trying to do when you issued that command?
>
> And this reminds me of an equally stupid thing I did a few years ago.
> I had a directories named share on three different partitions. These
> were for files that I and my then current gf shared. At one point I
> wanted to clean them all out, and issued this command:
>
> find -s / -type d -name share -exec rm -Rd {}/* \; -exec rm -Rd {}/.* \;
>
> Fortunately I had backups. And after that I renamed those share
> directories to something else.
>
> And yes, I too sat in the stupid corner.

I messed up the JPEG update somehow, many ports were failing to build.
Ran libchk and found some unused/need libraries, and directories, so I
was going to rm them.
Typed in rm -rf, flipped to another terminal to gather my list, then
thought it would be better if I was actually in /usr/local/lib so typed
in cd /usr/local/lib without realizing I was in the terminal with rm -rf
ready to go... I noticed as soon as I hit [enter] and was able to ^c it
a few seconds later, but the damage was done.  Lack of coffee/beer and
administration is a Bad Thing (tm).

Pure stupidity trying to rush to get the day started. Lesson learned.

--
Over the years I've come to regard you as people I've met.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other, and when I am