gutenprint and lpd

Andrew Gould andrewgould at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 14:53:04 UTC 2009

The CUPS administration tool prints a fine test page to an Epson Stylus Photo R280 using a gutenprint ppd; but the printer does not appear in Abiword or Gimp.  Attempts to configure the printer under Gimp's gutenprint plugin were a disaster -- my fault, I'm sure.

I'm running FreeBSD 7.2 (STABLE as of last week) and XFCE4.  I'm using applications installed, mostly, using 'pkg_add -r [app name]'.

Is there a way to use gutenprint drivers with lpd when the printer definition is not in the foomatic database?

Is there something special I need to do for applications to see CUPS printers?

Thanks,

Andrew