Odd behavior after installing a tape drive

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 03:43:31 UTC 2009

I'm no expert on tape drives either, but I was sure that "losing a
SCSI device" is a bad thing for SCSI -- think of it as an IDE drive.
you don't just go pulling power or data from a running, booted
computer.

All the devices in a computer are on, stays on, until the system shuts down.

The PTY/SCSI subject of your email should be unrelated, but a abruptly
missing device is never a positive outcome for an OS.  Think about the
old "removing a mounted USB drive = panic" issue we've dealt with for
years.

I am questioning your reasoning behind turning off a tape drive on a
live system.  I would never recommend that.