scontrib

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jul 19 07:06:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:47:15 +1000, Brett Wiggins <s0x7c0 at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am installing an old version of FreeBSD (5.2) that I am using with the
> book 'The design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System -
> McKusick/Neville-Neil'. During the install there is an error saying that
> scontrib was unable to be retrieved from the install CD. Will this
> effect the system from running? the only thing I want from this install
> is access to the 5.2 source code. Please cc me if you reply to this
> question as I am not subscribed to this list.

The contrib/ subtree contains various additional modules and
libraries, such as

amd/            expat/          less/           ngatm/          smbfs/
bc/             file/           libbegemot/     ntp/            tcp_wrappers/
bind9/          gcc/            libf2c/         nvi/            tcpdump/
binutils/       gcclibs/        libobjc/        one-true-awk/   tcsh/
bsnmp/          gdb/            libpcap/        openbsm/        telnet/
bzip2/          gdtoa/          libreadline/    openpam/        texinfo/
com_err/        gnu-sort/       libstdc++/      opie/           top/
cpio/           gperf/          lukemftp/       pam_modules/    traceroute/
csup/           groff/          lukemftpd/      pf/             wpa_supplicant/
cvs/            hostapd/        ncurses/        pnpinfo/
diff/           ipfilter/       netcat/         sendmail/

This is from a FreeBSD 7 installation. In 5.2, there is surely
less stuff included. :-)

Depending on what you want to do with "accessing the source code",
it may be valid to say that you can leave out scontrib, but as
far as I remember, it will be needed for building things from the
source code (make vuildworld and buildkernel).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0