What does one call name server registration?

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Wed Jul 15 19:24:51 UTC 2009

Michael David Crawford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem making myself clear to my domain name registrar's
> tech support.
>
> I have set up djbdns on a couple of my own servers, and want them
> registered AS name servers with whoever handles such registration.
>
> Most registrars allow one to just enter their hostnames and IPs and they
> take care of it automagically.
>
> But my once-beloved registrar HJ Linnen just outsourced all their
> registration services to NameScout, and they haven't got a clue.
>
> When I looked into it in my account page at NameScout, they said to
> email tech support, so I did.
>
> And tech support replied with the end-user instructions for assigning
> name servers to the domains one has registered with them.  That's not
> what I want.
>
> What I have are two pairs in the following format:
>
>   1.2.3.4 a.ns.example.com
>   5.6.7.8 b.ns.example.com
>
> I would like a domain to be able to set its name servers to be
> a.ns.example.com and b.ns.example.com, and then when that domain is
> resolved the lookup is delegated to either 1.2.3.4 or 5.6.7.8.
>
> What is the process called, of registering such name servers?  If I can
> tell NameScout support to do that for me, possibly they can get
> themselves a clue on my behalf.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Aloha,

You can use Dotster to register any server right from the web-interface.
No people no nothing to deal with. Doesn't your registrar have that service?

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >