Install from a USB Pen

Gregory T Helton gt at fallendusk.org
Mon Jul 13 13:21:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:02:54 +0100
Mark Wallbank <mrkwllbnk at googlemail.com> wrote:

> OK I know this has probably been done to death by know and I keep
> hitting the same problems with the methods I have tried to find on
> google and I know I could just sacrifice a laptop and do a build to
> create the image or do a net (pxe) install from another NIX serverbut
> it does seem to be a bit over the top. Does any body know of an easy
> way to create a bootable USB install media for 7.2 using either linux
> or vista (or using an option from the install dvd). I have tried some
> of the tricks from openBSD and linux to no avail.
> Any help appreciated...
> Cheers
> Mark

I am assuming that you don't have access to a freebsd machine to
build the image?

There's official usb images for 8.0-BETA1.
I have (unofficial) iso->img converted 7.2-RELEASE-bootonly for
i386/amd64. I've used this method before to build a 8.0-CURRENT
snapshot img's, before -BETA1, and it works.

http://www.fallendusk.org/freebsd/img/7.2-RELEASE/

Disclaimer: I've not tested these img's at all, so use at your own
risk. :)

You can copy to a flashdrive using dd on any *nix platform, and I
believe there's a ported version of dd for Windows aswell.

I can share the source for the iso->img convert script if you, or
anyone else, would like. I don't know the original author as it wasn't
in the script.