FixIt CD Tool Availability

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Jul 6 14:03:38 UTC 2009

Michel Talon wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> The command 'gmirror label root ad8a ad6a' does not return an error but
>> no device is created in /dev/mirror
>>
>> The command 'zpool create data  raid1z ad14d ad12d ad8d ad6d' gives me
>> an error about the ZFS library being unavailable.
>>
>> Are these tools supposed to work when using the Fix It CD?  If not, does
>> 7.2-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso have these tools?
>>

> One can load kernel modules from the fixit cdrom, but as far as i
> remember this requires some manipulations.
>
> What i do is, from the fixit prompt:
> chroot /mnt2
> to go to the full system available on the cdrom under /mnt2. But then
> required things are missing, so i do further:
> mount -t devfs devfs /dev
> because access to /dev is frequently required, and for commodity
> set -o emacs
> (to have shell history and editing)
> export PAGER=more
> (to be able to access man pages)
> After that one has a more or less standard environment. Sometimes one
> needs a writable filesystem, for example for accessing internet
> (dhclient, resolv.conf, etc.)
> mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp
> does that.

Thank you for your reply.  I performed the steps you suggested above.
However I am still stuck.  After the above, my chrooted /dev did not
have any device nodes so I must have done something wrong.  I have also
tried booting the DVD but the issues are the same.  I guess the guide at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/remote-install/installation.html
is missing something required for 7.2.

> It would be nice to have a shell script on the fixit cdrom doing similar
> things automatically when one accesses fixit.
>
> In your case i suspect appropriate kernel modules were not loaded
> and commands failed silently.

I have performed several Gentoo Linux installtions from its LiveCD so I
understand the concept of running a system from CD to prepare hard
drives and install.  However I am missing some piece to make FreeBSDs
LiveCD a functional environment.

I'm getting frustrated...  :)

Thanks again for your help,

Drew