make -jN build with portmaster

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 25 16:41:16 PST 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:46:54 +0100
cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:

> That's a good hint indeed. I'll try it. Maybe I'll modify it a bit to
> include ONLY the "build" target, because -jN fails on nearly every
> other target, AFAICS.

Don't forget that there are two different makes; BSD make does the ports
infrastructure bit, and usually gmake (Gnu Make) does the actual build
and install in the work directory.

IIRC  MAKE_ARGS only goes to the lower-level make (gmake), and aside
from those ports that don't work with -j at all, the failure with
other targets are caused by bsd make i.e. by trying to run the whole
ports infrastructure with -j.