make -jN build with portmaster

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Sun Jan 25 14:45:42 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:22:04PM -0500, Josh Carroll wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:44 PM, cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
> > To build ports in parallel on a 4 core machine, I usually
> > do this manually:
> >
> >  # cd /usr/ports/some/port
> >  # make configure && make -j5 build && make install clean
> >
> > because all steps except "make build" are not compatible
> > with -jN (some ports don't work with -jN in the "make build"
> > phase either, but they are quite rare).
> >
> > Now, is there a way to teach portmaster to build or rebuild
> > ports this way? The only workaround for now is something
> > like:
>
> What I do is the following via make.conf, which will work for
> portmaster/portupgrade or manual builds:
>
> # set MAKE_ARGS for the build target(s)
> .if !(make(*install) || make(package))
> MAKE_ARGS+=-j8
> .endif
>
> Then as you find ports that don't build properly, add an entry like this:
>
> # some ports don't like -j8, so we can undo the MAKE_ARGS addition for those
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*/multimedia/mplayer}
> MAKE_ARGS:=${MAKE_ARGS:C/-j8//}
> .endif

That's a good hint indeed. I'll try it. Maybe I'll modify it a bit to
include ONLY the "build" target, because -jN fails on nearly every
other target, AFAICS.

> It's a bit of a hack, but I've had decent success with this. Enough
> ports fail to build with -jX, that I'd never do the above on a
> production machine, especially since it's possible for some sort of
> silent error that produces an unpredictable binary. But for my home
> machine, I've been pretty happy with it.

Yes, that's true, and it could happen. But I don't remember having
had a port compile, yet silently fail, yet. (*knocking-on-wood*). ;)

> Regards,
> Josh

Thanks,
-cpghost.