how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 24 18:42:36 PST 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:32:01 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	Max, yes, even if all I have is DOS :-)

Sure, no problem. Erm stop, no, little problem with DOS: It will
cut off filenames at 8.3 convention because DOS only gets the
ISO-9660 part, but not the standard RockRidge (or even the non-
standard "Joliet" extension). But because RockRidge is standard,
it provides the RR_MOVED mechanism which can be used to obtain
the "real" filenames from the ISO-9660 8.3 names.

> 	Thanks very much.  I do have dvd linked in /etc/devfs.conf, as
> 	well as the atapi/cam/SCSI xpt stuff compiled in.

You just need to have the proper permissions, or call the command
with a "sudo" prefix - I prefer the first option.

> Probably use a seperate script for the DVD's and growiofs.

Because the geowisofs burning command doesn't allow the file name
for the ISO to be a separate parameter, I chose to put it into a
little shell script. That's the only reason that I didn't create
an alias in /etc/csh.cshrc. If something like

	% growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -f cdr.iso
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^,
	                                 fictional parameter

would be possible, I would really prefer it. The alias could then
be everything until "-f" (which would read out "use this file as
image" instead of the "device=file" parameter which isn't good
for creating an alias (such as for cdrecord or cdrdao).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0